Matthew D. Cates
Creative writer and brander; retired Air Force Knowledge Operations Manager
PROTAGONIST’S STORY ARC (Reverse Chronology)
Present – 2015: Digital nomad and Internet entrepreneur, Turkey & Corvallis, OR
- Online brand marketing and content creation business owner
- Top Rated freelance copywriter/brand name & tagline consultant on Upwork.com
- Published 2 Amazon eBooks (both highly ranked during promotional phases)
- Developed and manages 3 WordPress.org websites, including graphics and content
- Successfully completed 50+ freelance assignments for clients around the world, including:
Freelance copywriting/marketing copy/website content for: ESL blogs/ Auto sales radio ad/ Choose Your Own Adventure app/ Escape room/ Beach jewelers/ Menswear/ Lara N’ Luna Gift chocolates/ Market research/ Driver’s license tests/ Children’s book/ Blog about convicts/ Washington policy maker white papers/ Clothing catalogs/ A.I. quizbots/ Chegg’s textbook blog/ International Star Registry blog/ Cat-themed products/ Curiverse book commendations/ …and many more!
Brand names/taglines for: Japanese television/ Russian sock makers/ Star Wars t-shirt slogans/ Chinese furniture store/ Pet supplier/ European gift chocolates/ Fitness gear/ Asian-based cosmetics company/ Smart phone app/ Canadian electric company/ Capital management firm/ Turkish English tutoring startup/ Video game equipment/ NY-based food distribution startup/ Texas property managers/ …and more!
Online articles for: Forbes/ OMNI/ Longevity/ Geeks/ Beats/ …and several other Jerrick Media ezines/ Re:Fiction/ Pacific Northwest Writer’s Association/ International Living’s Incomes Abroad
2015 – 2013: Superintendent of Executive Support, HQ Air Force, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
- Frontline customer support for 200 of the nation’s highest-level Air Force servicemen and women
- Led support team in accomplishing detail oriented correspondence drafting/routing, scheduling of critical tasks, management of classified records, and compliance with Privacy Act protocols
2013 – 2009: Student affairs manager at Oregon State University’s Aerospace Studies Department
- Multiple Air Force ROTC campus programs awards winner across entire U.S. Northwest region
- Rewrote complex military and university policies for mass consumption by undergrad students
- Walked scholarship awardees step-by-step through lengthy legal contracting processes
1994 – 2009 Tours: South Dakota, Guam, England, Turkey, Hawaii, Washington, Afghanistan, Iraq
- Proven ability to overcome challenges, to persevere under stress, and to lead workers to success while maintaining a positive office environment under austere or high pressure conditions
- Bachelor of Science, History; minor in Information Technology (Excelsior College, NY)
- Master of Fine Arts, Creative Writing (National University, CA)
- Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (University of Cambridge, UK)